Monday 5 February 2018

Saravanaa Bhavan @ AXA Tower, Singapore

I was recently over in Singapore for a work trip. Generally it was a day trip, running around for some meetings and back to Kuala Lumpur later that night. I had some time to kill in the morning before my first meeting and having had a vegetarian friend with me, I had to go for a South Indian Vegetarian Restaurant instead of the local Chinese food. Since Saravanaa Bhavan was the closest to our next meeting location, we decided to drop it for breakfast. 

The Restaurant At The Basement Level of AXA Tower

Ponggal Vadai Breakfast Set
It was a simple set up which looked like a place where people come for a quick meal. The entire restaurant was air-conditioned and it was located at the basement level of AXA Tower. You had to go to the counter to place your orders and pay. Once ready, the orders would be sent over to your table. They had a very good variety and it looked and felt like being in a restaurant in Tamil Nadu. That was the kind of variety that they had. As a Malaysian, I felt that the prices were on the steep side but again, that's because I'm looking at everything from the perspective of Malaysian Ringgit. After browsing through the variety, I finally decided to have the Ponggal Vadai breakfast set. It came with a heap of Ven Ponggal, one Ulunthu Vadai, some Sambar and Coconut Chutney.  

Ponggal

Ulunthu Vadai
The Ven Ponggal was superb! It was made with lot's of spices and they were very generous with the portions. I was certainly sure that I could not have lunch after this as this itself was a huge meal. Taste wise, it was exactly like the ones that we would get in Tamil Nadu. My rating for this shall be 10/10. Similarly, their Ulunthu Vadai was heavenly. Again, exactly like the ones that we would get in South India. Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside and there was not even a little trace of oil. Amazing indeed. Again, 10/10 would be my rating for this. 

Coconut Chutney

Sambar
Their Coconut Chutney was good too but it certainly wasn't the best that I have tasted. This had all the flavours but lacked lime and chili. Overall, the texture was coarse and a little bland. My rating for this shall be 6/10. Their Sambar however was superb. The blend of spices were perfect and it tasted great. My rating for this shall be 9/10. 

Filter Coffee
After having had an awesome meal, we had this wonderful Filter Coffee that was absolutely amazing. Absolutely perfect and nothing to comment about it. My rating for this shall be 10/10. 

Saravanaa Bhavan is indeed an excellent place to have a South Indian vegetarian meal. Though we only had breakfast, it was still a very fulfilling meal. Huge portions and really authentic flavours. 

Address: #B1-22, 8 Shenton Way, AXA Tower, 068811 Singapore

Business Hours: 0900 - 2100 Daily

No comments:

Post a Comment