Friday 21 July 2017

Restoran Wong Ah Wah (W.A.W. Restaurant) @ Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur

Restoran Wong Ah Wah is located along the busy street of Jalan Alor, Bukit Bintang. Most of the people that come here are tourists since this street is listed as a must visit place in most travel guide books. That being the case, it is not surprising to see such a crowd daily. Business starts at around 5 pm and goes on till 4 am. Throughout the night, the place is so busy and at times, it can even be difficult to get a table. This street is not a place that I frequent since all prices are 'tourist' prices and I only come here when I have guests visiting Malaysia. This evening was one such occasion when I had friends visiting Kuala Lumpur and they were staying at Federal Hotel. That being the case, this was the best bet. I had been to Meng Kee before which is along the same row and the food was nothing much to shout about. For a change and being the curious foodie, I decided to bring my guests here.

Crowded All Night Long

Signature Dishes

There's Lot More To The Menu
Their menu was pretty comprehensive and they had a long list of dishes. As expected, prices were premium and the owner had advised me that the portions may be small. Since there were not many of us and the fact that I had wanted to order a number of dishes for my guests to try, it did not matter much and I didn't want to upscale the portions of each dish. Everyone looks so busy here and the boss had forewarned me that it may take a while for the dishes to arrive. Since time was not a constraint, it wasn't really an issue for us. 

Grilled Stingray @ RM 29.00
Their Ikan Bakar looked and tasted quite pathetic. Seriously, I wonder why all the buzz about the food at this restaurant. The stingray was dry and flaky and a little overdone. Even the dip sauce was quite bland. If I were to rate this, I would only give it 4/10. Seriously one of the worst Grilled Fish that I had tasted. 

Kam Heong Clams @ RM 12.00
For the price, the portions were quite small. The boss had already informed me and so I can't complain. Taste wise, this was way better than the earlier dish. Not to say a great dish but it was decent. I would rate this at 6/10. 

Baby French Beans @ RM 13.00
A very simple dish but it was perfectly executed. The flavours were awesome and the French Beans were not overcooked. Compared to the earlier two, this was way better. I would definitely give this 8/10. 

Fish Stir Fried with Dried Chilies @ RM 20.00
An above average dish this was. The flavours were decent but the fish itself wasn't as fresh as expected. One thing that I liked about this dish was the generous amount of Dried Chili used. My rating for this shall be 6/10. 

Salted Egg Squid @ RM 18.00
Their Salted Egg Squid was not bad though. The squid had been perfectly fried and it was sufficiently crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. It would have been better if they had been a little more generous with the salted egg batter. Decent but I have taste better ones. 6/10 is what I shall give this dish. 

BBQ Chicken Wings @ RM 9.90
Chicken Wings are the top seller at this restaurant. They sell by the thousands daily and it is grilled using charcoal stoves. In fact, we had to wait close to an hour for these due to the demand. And I would have to agree with the masses. This is one excellent BBQ Chicken Wings. It was so juicy and tasty. Right from the skin to the bone, it was so good and I have not come across one that is this good. 10/10 for this! 

Bill For The Evening
Most travel guide books list Jalan Alor as a food heaven and that being the case, you tend to see crowds of people every evening and the place is open from 5 pm till 4 am daily. Restoran Wong Ah Wah is the very first restaurant along this street and they occupy 5 units of shop lots. The place is so busy that at times, it may be a challenge to find a place to sit. We tried the food this evening and to be honest, I find it to be nothing great except for the BBQ Chicken Wings which was out of this world. The rest of the dishes were quite average and premium prices. For me, it's more of an experience dining here than to actually come for the taste.  

Address: Jalan Alor, Bukit Bintang, 50200 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 1700 - 0400 Daily

Telephone: +603 2144 2463 

No comments:

Post a Comment