Sunday 18 June 2017

Hokkien Mee Tokong @ Kajang, Selangor

There is this Chinese Temple that is in Kajang Town along Jalan Mendaling and part of the temple has been converted into a Chinese Restaurant. It is fondly called Hokkien Mee Tokong by the locals and is open daily from 6 pm till 10 pm. I was told that they do have a unique Hokkien Mee not to be found elsewhere and that definitely kindled the curiosity in me to pay them a visit. 

One Side Of The Temple Had Been Converted For This Purpose

Cooking Is Done Under The Stage
Finding this place is not at all difficult. If you drive along Jalan Mendaling where Maybank is, at the end of the road where the turn is, is where this temple is located. You don't even need to park along the roadside as there are a lot of bays available closer to the temple which is by the river bank. True enough, it was one section of the temple that had been converted for this purpose and it is closer to where the Chinese Opera Stage is. The outer area where the audience would be is where the tables have been set and cooking is done under the stage area. Very unique concept and it was very interesting to witness it. The man who does the cooking does not take the orders and this is done by one of his trusted helpers. He I was told had been here for more than 10 years and have a strong support base that come here for his unique Hokkien Mee. The place can be a little mess to be honest. Some would wonder why all the commotion and noise from the staffs but that's how they are and you'd get used to it after a while. Do be prepared to wait as it may take a while for your order to arrive due to the crowd.

Hokkien Mee (2 Pax) @ RM 8.00

Hokkien Mee (2 Pax) @ RM 8.00
The Hokkien Mee here was definitely very different. It was handmade Pan Mee that had been used to cook this style. That variation gave it a very different texture and overall taste. For me, it seems like an acquired taste that one would need to get used to. But the price was extremely cheap for the portions. This would easily be RM 20 elsewhere and I was surprised to see that they had only charged RM 8.00 for this. Taste wise, I would give this 7/10. 

Fried Tang Hoon @ RM 6.00
Another dish that is very famous here is the Fried Tang Hoon. This we ordered for 1 pax since that Hokkien Mee was such a large plate and even this was very reasonably priced at RM 6.00 . Taste wise, this was much better in my opinion as I could immediately relate to it. I would give this 8/10. 

Chili Paste
I am so used to having my Hokkien Mee with lots of Chili Paste and when I asked for it here, they gave the above portion for three pax. Initially I thought that they were quite stingy with it but after tasting it, it was only then that I realised that this is more than enough for the three of us. This Chili Paste was very different, it was extremely salty and mildly spicy. So even a slight touch is good enough to go with your noodles. If you asked me, I did not like this because of the over saltiness. My rating for this shall be 4/10. Again, it could be one that needs an acquired taste. 

Sweet Potato Leaves @ RM 6.00
Sweet Potato Leaves is another popular dish here and I did not miss giving this a try. I actually liked the blend of flavours. It was a very simple dish but loved the preparation. And for the portions, I would say that the price of RM 6.00 is definitely cheap. My rating for this shall be 8/10.

Pork Spring Rolls @ RM 6.00
Pork Spring Rolls is another dish that is famous here and you would be able to see this at almost all tables. Firstly, the price is ridiculously cheap. It is priced at RM 2.00 per piece and each piece is about 7 to 8 inches long. We ordered three pieces and therefore we got quite a lot. This comes with a sweet dip sauce as well. I enjoyed the taste but I have definitely tasted better ones. My rating for this shall be 8/10 as well.

Hokkien Mee Tokong as it is fondly called by the locals is definitely a very unique restaurant. It is not often that we come across restaurants inside a temple and this is one such place. The food that is offered here is very limited and their signature dishes are a very unique Hand Made Hokkien Mee, Fried Tang Hoon and Spring Rolls. Another point to note would be the ridiculously cheap prices that you might never come across anywhere else. Definitely worth giving the place a try when you're in Kajang. 

Address: Tokong Cina, Jalan Mendaling, 43000 Bandar Kajang, Selangor, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 1800 - 2200 Daily

No comments:

Post a Comment