Tuesday 8 November 2016

Restoran Jaya @ Brickfields, Kuala Lumpur

If you talk about South Indian restaurants in Brickfields, I would say that this is my favourite place and those who have been following me for a while now would have realised that I have blogged about this restaurant more than any other restaurant in Brickfields. And so to cut the lengthy introduction, let me briefly put it that this is a branch of the Penang famous Jaya Caterers and they are located along Jalan Thambipillai, right behind the Monorail station that faces the Nu Sentral Mall. 

Restaurant Jaya Located Along Jalan Thambipillai
Today happens to be one of those days where I drove to work instead of the train and that gives me the liberty to move around freely without any time restrictions. It was a long day and driving through the traffic, I only reached here at around 9.00 pm. The usual crowd that one would see earlier in the day was missing. Still, there were around 10 to 12 customers in the restaurant. Being late, I wasn't in the mood for rice and curries and kept it rather simple to some light tiffin. Only a handful of staffs were seen at this hour. I am assuming that most of them would have been done for the day and would probably be resting now. It does make sense to keep the staff minimal at this hour as you don't usually expect a huge crowd to come by post the usual dinner hours. Having decided what I wanted to have, I placed my orders with one of the staffs and off he was to the kitchen side. 

Bru Coffee @ RM 2.40
The last time I was here, it was in February this year and it seems that the prices have gone up by some 20 to 30 cents for all the dishes including the drinks. The prices on the board and the final price that was charged wasn't the same. So, please take note of this. Coming back to my drink, I ordered a glass of Bru Coffee and as always, it was a skillfully fixed drink. No complaints whatsoever and I would give this at 8/10. 

Poori Set @ RM 2.60
The above Poori Set is now priced at RM 2.60, up 40 cents since my last visit but I won't be complaining for this minimal price hike. Somehow, I just love the Poori here. It's flavours are amazing and I am impressed how they are able to fry it and then serve without any trace of oil. I have come across Poori's that were soaked in oil when being served but this was completely different. Health freaks would just love it. It's so soft & fluffy,  addictive and good to even go on it's own. And the Potato Perattal, again that's another excellent preparation. At some restaurants, this would be in a gravy form with some potatoes in it. I really hate it when I see those as this is how it should be and that's a stingy way of preparation. As for the bread, I would rate it at 9/10 and for their Potato Perattal, that's another 9/10. 

Vegetarian Kothu Barotta @ RM 4.,60
The Vegetarian Kothu Barotta set is priced at RM 4.60 and comes with some vegetarian gravy and Cucumber & Onion Raita on the sides and oh yes, this has undergone another 20 cents price hike since my last visit. Still, it is totally worth it. The Kothu Barotta was just excellent, filled with vegetables and spices that were just doing wonders to the palate. And that Vegetarian Gravy and Onion / Cucumber Raita was just bliss. In fact, I went for the Kothu Barotta alone, then literally scooped the gravy and finally finished my meal by consuming the Raita. As for my ratings, I would give the bread a 9/10, the gravy a 9/10 and the Raita a 10/10. Totally fantastic stuff! 

I have tried this restaurant for lunch, tea time and dinner and not a single time that I have been disappointed. I wonder how they manage to keep the standards so high. A fantastic place that I would surely recommend!

Address: No. 51, Jalan Thambipillai, Off Jalan Tun Sambanthan,
                50470 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 0700 - 2300 Daily

Telephone: +603 2274 2625 

No comments:

Post a Comment