Wednesday 23 November 2016

Restoran Hannan Tomyam @ Hulu Bernam, Selangor

Restoran Hannan Tomyam is the latest Tomyam restaurant in Tanjung Malim, Perak. This restaurant is located in Taman Hulu Bernam, right beside the Shell station on the Selangor side of town. If I am not mistaken, it's been abount two months now since they opened. 

Restoran Hannan Tomyam in Taman Hulu Bernam

Very Clean Restaurant

Beautifully Designed As Well
Unlike many of the Tomyam eateries, these guys have placed themselves in a proper restaurant. Just in front of the restaurant, there's a huge land space and so parking isn't a problem. There's a few things that I really liked about this restaurant. Firstly, it's the cleanliness, followed by the design and finally the bright lighting instead of the pinkish and blue dim lighting. As a result, this restaurant draws a lot of family crowd compared to the others that usually attracts singles and couples. I was here around 8 pm on a weekday and the crowd was very promising. At that hour, there were almost ten tables that were occupied. Luckily, they all came after me and so I got my food the first. If only I had been late, then I am sure that the waiting time would have been very long. They do not have a menu card and so I am not able to share the price list. However, as always, I would share the prices of the individual dishes that I had consumed. Just like any other Tomyam restaurant, this too was very much a family run business. A boy in his late teens was taking the orders as well as serving the dishes. His mother was the sole worker in the kitchen. That being said, it did take a little longer than usual for the dishes to arrive. For example, it would typically take around 10 to 15 minutes wait time for the dishes to arrive. Here, I had to wait close to 30 minutes. I wonder how long it would take for the 10th person that had arrived that day before he gets to enjoy his dinner. 

Sambal Belacan with Cucumber
After the long wait, the dishes were served. Firstly, let's look at their Sambal Belacan. This is a must have dish in most Malay restaurants and it is one that is provided on the house. The Sambal Belacan here was mildly spicy, a little tangy and overall had a good blend of ingredients. Personally, I would have prefered something more spicy but I guess this is what the majority would prefer. Based on my taste preferences, I would give this a 7/10. 

Kailan Ikan Masin @ RM 4.50
Generally this Kailan Ikan Masin dish is priced at RM 4.00 but it was fifty cents more at this restaurant. Still very much worth it as the portion size was double the usual. The veggies were fresh and I could get a very strong salt fish taste in the dish. Another good thing is that they did not overcook the Kailan as it was still crispy. Good stuff for sure and I would give this a 8/10. 

Telur Dadar @ RM 1.50
Finally, I came across a Telur Dadar that was non greasy. In most restaurants, this would come soaked in oil that is good to fry another two eggs. For once, this was exactly the way I would want it to be. The edges were thin and crispy and the center was filled with onions. Lovely it was and I would give this a 9/10. 

Ayam Masak Pedas @ RM 5.00
This Ayam Masak Pedas dish was really spicy, the kind of spicy that get's me profusely sweating and I loved it! For RM 5.00 , it was such a huge portion and they were surely generous with the chicken. For once, I did not have to look for the chicken that's usually hidden under the greens. The chicken bits were just the right size, it was rich in gravy and that went so well with  rice. I seriously would not mind having just this with white rice. That's how good it was. This definitely deserves a 10/10. 

Udang Goreng Tepung @ RM 6.00
I have had this Udang Goreng Tepung in a number of restaurants and not a single restaurant had used large prawns like this one. Each prawn was the size of my palm, coated in a crispy batter and deep fried. The prawns were fried just right, not overdone and were sweet in taste. The combination of the crispy batter and juicy prawns were just beautiful. This deserves a perfect 10/10. 

Overall, I am very happy with the meal here. The prices may seem to be slightly more but do note that the portions are huge, in fact they are almost double in size and that's definitely a plus point for customers. You spend less and it feeds more people. That's good value for the money spent. Besides that, the food tastes good, the ambiance is lovely and most importantly the restaurant is clean. Surely will be coming back for more. 

Address: Taman Hulu Bernam, 35900 Hulu Bernam, Selangor, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 1800 - 0000 Daily

No comments:

Post a Comment