Wednesday 16 November 2016

Kee Hiong Klang Bak Kut Teh @ Petaling Jaya, Selangor

This morning, a friend of mine invited me over to meet up for breakfast and his suggestion was for us to have Klang Bak Kut Teh. That was when I had asked him if it's really going to be worth the drive all the way to Klang in the traffic jam just for this and his response was that he had planned for us to meet up in SS2, Petaling Jaya as there is an outlet there as well which happens to be a branch of the Klang famous Kee Hiong Bak Kut Teh. That was when I had learned about this outlet. I have just been away from KL for a brief moment and SS2 was one of the areas that I used to be so familiar with as far as the food scene is concerned and within this brief period of time, so much has changed. Anyway, I'm glad that I am back and would be able to catch up on all that I have missed.

The Restaurant Located Along Jalan SS2/67

Outdoor Seating

Indoor Seating Area
We were there very early, around 8.30 am if I am not mistaken and SS2 was just slowly waking up. Most of the restaurants were closed and this was one of those that was already opened at that hour. To get to this restaurant isn't difficult. If you're coming from the LDP, turn left into SS2 and turn right again at the first intersection. Here go straight and shortly, you would be able to see this restaurant on your left. The outlet itself isn't too big and it's good that they occupy a corner unit as they have the flexibility to have both indoor and outdoor seating. Only after I saw their signage did I remember that I have eaten at their main outlet that's located in Taman Eng Ann, Klang and it was a rather good Bak Kut Teh. Another thing that surprised me was the number of customer's at the restaurant. I thought I was one of those that was crazy enough to have something this heavy for breakfast but to my surprise, there were at least another three tables that were occupied. In fact once we had ordered, more people were coming to have their breakfast as well. 

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu
Here they have both the wet and dry Bak Kut Teh and you can choose the parts that you prefer as well. Besides the mains, they do have a good variety of sides to choose from. Prices seemed reasonable to me. I won't say that they were cheap and neither would I say that they were expensive. We have to understand that are a famous brand and that demands a higher pricing. Besides that, the location itself means higher rentals. So, taking all these into consideration, I would agree that they were reasonable. I think they had more staffs in the kitchen than those manning the shop front. Only one person was taking the orders and another one helping to serve the dishes. At the time that we were here, the crowd was good and still with just two people running the shop front, they were able to cope very well. 

Chinese Tea @ RM 0.80

Full Set of Cutlery, Garlic, Birds Eye Chili and Soy Sauce
In a breeze, the drinks were served. Another thing that I totally appreciated at this restaurant is the fact that a full set of cutlery, chili, garlic and soy sauce was placed at each table. This saves customers the trouble of asking for them later on. 

White Rice (Big) @ RM 1.50
We originally intended on having their Yam Rice but it still wasn't ready. I was told that that is usually ready only around 10 am. o if you are planning on going for that, best to skip heading there for breakfast and go for lunch instead. Perhaps even an early lunch would do just to avoid the crowd. 

Dry Claypot Bak Kut Teh with Half Fat @ RM 14.30

Half Fat.... Just The Way We Wanted It
Since we have both tasted their Soup Bak Kut Teh, we decided to try their Dry Bak Kut Teh and each of us had a claypot to ourselves and this ws priced at RM 14.30 each. I had requested my cuts to be half fat and half meat and they had served me just that. The pieces were quite large and came in a dry and spicy gravy like preparation with some ladies' fingers and dried shrimps as well. The meat was succulent and juicy and the mildly spicy gravy along with those dried shrimps were just awesome. It would have been a moment of bliss if only we had the Yam Rice as this would have been a perfect marriage of flavours. Still, there's absolutely nothing to complain about. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would give this a 9/10. 

Bak Kut Teh Soup
Despite not having gone for the soup version, they still provided us with a small bowl of the soup and it was just heavenly. After a long time. I am having some really good Bak Kut Teh soup. The taste was so unique, it was light bodied but with a deep tone. Really good! I would rate this at 10/10. 

Braised Egg @ RM 1.80
The Braised Egg was priced at RM 1.80 each and it was served in a sweet soy sauce based broth. As a personal choice, I still prefer the eggs to be served in the salty broth and that said, this was not to my liking. The eggs were just okay and I have surely tasted better ones. The outer layer wasn't as hard as it should be and the texture of these eggs were very much like any other boiled eggs. Rightfully, these Braised Eggs should have a slightly hard and rubbery external texture and a soft yolk. This I would only rate it at 7/10. 

Braised Tau Kua @ RM 1.80
The Braised Beancurd was cut into four smaller pieces and again served in that sweet soy sauce based broth and this was priced at RM 1.80 each. The Tau Kua was decent, again not the best that I have tried but quite decent. This I would rate at 7/10. 

Overall, it was a good meal and the both of us enjoyed the mains. The Dry Bak Kut Teh was excellent along with the Bak Kut Teh Soup. That being said, I wish there were more people with us today as we could have tasted both the versions but still, the fact that we tasted the soup speaks volumes about the dish. The sides however weren't up to the mark. I would say that they were just okay. Perhaps the next time, I would just stick with the mains. Both the wet and dry Bak Kut Teh is something that I would highly recommend here. 

Address: No. 72, Jalan SS2/67, SS2, 47300 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: Mondays: 0800 - 1500 
                            Tues - Sun: 0800 - 2230

Telephone: +60111 898 1118

No comments:

Post a Comment