Friday 15 April 2016

Warong Dandan Setia Char Kuey Teow @ Tanjung Malim, Perak

I have heard a lot about this place from my schoolmates. Apparently it is opened by one of the guy's who was one year my senior in school. When they mentioned his name, I couldn't really make out who he was but from the way they were praising the Char Kuey Teow here, I decided that I must give this place a try. This place is open from Sundays to Fridays, 4.00 pm till midnight. 

Lighted Up Sign At The Entrance To Kampung Simpang Empat

The Decor Was Beautiful

Simple But Beautiful
This place is located inside Kampung Simpang Empat and is themed to be a 'warung in a kampung'. At the main road itself, they have a lighted up signage which indicates if the place is open or close. Pretty intelligent set up I must say. This was the very first time that I am entering this kampung and I must confess that I was taken back by the development inside this place. The place looked better than some of those residential areas in town. Just a short drive in and this stall is noticeable. Beautiful lighting, clean place and the decor was just impressive. The serene atmosphere was wonderful and it had loads of parking space available. I was truly impressed with the planning that this guy had done. Seemed like a very seasoned businessman. As I was seated, suddenly this guy who is the owner and chef appeared calling my name. Goodness... it was only then that I realised that this belonged to my schoolmate called Rohaidan and very surprised that he still remembers my full name, bearing in mind that he was one year my senior in school. Gosh, benefits of being popular in school I guess. We had a friendly chat and he explained what he had planned for this place. Great plans he has got and I am sure, with the level of confidence that he displayed, he would surely do very well. He then passed me his menu and told me that that was the first cut. He is improvising his dishes and would have a revised version out soon. With that, as there were a number of orders waiting, he got back into the kitchen.

The Menu

The Menu
Even the first cut was quite comprehensive for this kind of a stall and his creativity truly showed. Well, though he had a lot to offer, I decided to stick to his main seller and placed my order's with one of the girls. Soon enough, the dishes arrived. 

Teh O Ice @ RM 1.40
Everywhere else in town, this is priced at RM 1.50 and it's great that he has reduced the prices here. Good move to showcase the village concept and to emphasise the fact that it's always cheaper in the villages compared to towns. The drink was good, no issues about it and I would rate this at 9/10 .

Chili in Vinegar

Char Kuey Teow Kerang (Cockles) @ RM 5.00

Loads Of Cockles and Some Shrimps
This is his bestseller dish and it comes with a number of options. One, you could go with more cockles like I did, or more shrimps or add crab which obviously would be much more expensive as it is based on the daily market rates. Since I love cockles, I went for that. This must be had with those pickled chilies on the sides. The portion was good and what I loved most about this dish was the eggy broth. That was the killer. It was so delicious and thick and it tasted heavenly. Truly.... I have been to so many Malay style Char Kuey Teow places but none can come close to this. This was the champion of them all and a class of it's own. Just awesome!!! It would be unfair if I rate this anything less than 10/10. Truly deserves the perfect scoring. 

Nasi Lemak Bungkus @ RM 1.00
Since I had a good appetite, I also tried their Nasi Lemak Bungkus and this was priced at RM 1.00 . Very good price for sure. The other place that I used to frequent sells this at RM 1.20 per packet. Taste wise, it was quite good. Not the best that I have tried but still good. Setback was the limited amount of sambal. It would have been better if they had been generous with that. Nevertheless, still good and one of the better one's that we get at night in Tanjung Malim. This, I would rate at 7/10. 

In summary, truly the best Malay style Char Kuey Teow that we get in Tanjung Malim. In fact, the best that I have tasted in my life. The Nasi Lemak was okay. I would surely return to try his other bestsellers like Mee Rawa and Mee Bandung which are not on his menu. A great place, very satisfying dining experience and one that I would highly recommend. A great place to chill with friends too. Do drop by and try for yourself. I am sure that you too would love it.

Address: Kampung Simpang Empat, 35900 Tanjung Malim, Perak, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 1600 - 0000 Sunday - Friday
                             Closed on Saturdays

Telephone: +6017 234 3310

No comments:

Post a Comment