Saturday 9 April 2016

Gerai King (Man & Ina) @ Tanjung Malim, Perak

Gerai King (Man & Ina) is a newly opened Nasi Lemak stall that operates from Kampung Berop, Tanjung Malim. Me being the foodie that is ever inquisitive with newly opened outlets, I decided to give the place a try this evening. 

The Stall Located Along The Main Road Itself

Quite A Variety Of Side Dishes
One need not go deep into Kampung Berop to get to this stall. Assuming that you are coming from Jalan Cahaya right after passing Srri Tanjung Curry House and heading back to the old trunk road that heads to Slim River, you would be able to sight this stall just at that junction. I believe that the owners are from Kampung Mogah as they had the Pakistani look. I pulled over to check what they had to offer and their side dishes seemed impressive. I liked the fact that they had all the dishes covered, bearing in mind that they are located right beside a busy road and it is great to see that hygiene has been given importance. There is no dining in concept here as it is just a little stall that operates from Mondays to Fridays, 4.30 pm till 10 pm. Since there were three of us at home, having known what they would prefer to have, I packed three packets of Nasi Lemak and the total bill was RM 16.50 . Very friendly people they were. In fact, I had a feel that they must be new to business as it took them a while to calculate the three packets of Nasi Lemak that I had purchased. He had to check with his daughters numerous times what the prices of the side items were and then again, had to rely on a calculator. Clearly, they have not gotten used to the prices themselves. With that, I wished them luck and headed back home. 

Nasi Lemak, Sambal, a whole Hard Boiled Egg and Sambal Chicken @ RM 5.00
This was actually my mother's meal and I did get to taste the Sambal Chicken. Before getting to that, let me start with the rice. The rice was a huge letdown. In fact, it was quite bad I would say. The usual coconut milk fragrance that should be there was completely missing. Yes, they had added coconut milk to the preparation as I could taste it but clearly that was just insufficient. As for the rice, I would rate it 4/10 . The Sambal itself was too diluted as you can see from the above picture. It was just mere spicy and salty and I believe that salty taste did not come from the anchovies but the salt added. There weren't much anchovies in the sambal too. It was merely made up of chili paste and some diced onions. Another disappointment. This, I would rate at 3/10 . Now, time to talk about the Sambal Chicken. Without a doubt, it was yesterday's left over and the chicken wasn't even properly cooked. Yes, the sambal gravy tasted okay but with the chicken in such a condition, it was another huge let down. For me, I would rate their Sambal Chicken at 3/10 . 

Nasi Lemak, Sambal, Hard Boiled Egg and Petai & Prawn Sambal @ RM 4.50
Now, this was my Dad's meal. The only difference here is that I added Petai & Prawn Sambal instead of Chicken and this was priced at RM 4.50 . I have no qualms about the pricing as I felt that it was quite reasonable for all. Just sad that the taste was not up to expectations. This Petai & Prawn Sambal again was a disappointment. The shrimps were overcooked and so were the Petai. Again, could this be yesterday's leftover that was heated up again today? I wonder. Besides that, the sambal gravy too did not have belacan and serai in it. It was nothing much but just chili paste and salt. Sigh. I would rate this at 4/10 .

Nasi Lemak, Sambal, Omelette, Petai & Prawn Sambal and Ayam Goreng Berempah @ RM 7.00

Omelette
Of course you would have guessed that this grand serving was mine. Since I had spoken about the Petai & Prawn Sambal, I do not want to go there again. The only consolation here was the omelette which seemed like one fried this evening. 

Ayam Goreng Berempah
This was the worst Ayam Goreng Berempah that I have tasted in my life. Goodness, how can one cook so badly and yet be ambitious enough to open a stall. It tasted so odd and the taste was off. Again, the chicken seemed to be one that was double fried or was the chicken meat itself so stiff and hard. Even the so called rempah was horrid and nauseating. That's how bad it was.  This I would rate at 1/10 . 

In my lifetime, I have never tasted Nasi Lemak that was this bad. They were lovely people and it is just sad that the food is this bad. I do hope and pray that they would improve their culinary skills soon enough before it is too late. I wonder how many more customers they may have disappointed. Me, I am surely not going back here again. 

Address: Along Jalan Kampung Berop, 35900 Tanjung Malim, Perak, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: Monday - Friday 1630 - 2200

No comments:

Post a Comment