Saturday 23 April 2016

D Santap Asam Pedas @ Batu Caves, Selangor

Recently, I was informed by a friend that there is a good place for Nasi Lemak in Sunway Batu Caves area. After doing a little bit of research, I found out that it is the famous Asam Pedas restaurant that is located beside one of my favourite South Indian restaurants, D Maduras and the name of this restaurant is D Santap. I wonder what is it with that 'D' that so many of them seem to be adopting. Having had some work at EPF this morning, I decided to drop by for breakfast since they are only two rows away.

The Restaurant in Taman Sunway Batu Caves

Nice Spacious Concept

Cleanliness Was Good
I arrived sometime around 10.30 am and by then many have already had their breakfast and there were just a handful of customers. Some of their Indonesian staffs were busy preparing the Asam Pedas for lunch and a Bangladeshi guy was making Roti Canai. Seriously, that was one odd looking Roti Canai and it looked like he was using 1 liter of oil for each Roti Canai. I checked with another staff and he mentioned that Nasi Lemak was available. I then placed my orders and moved over to a table. The set up is quite good actually. The place was clean and the open air concept that they had adopted added greater ventilation inside the restaurant and I hardly felt the heat from outside. Finding this place is quite simple. Assuming you are coming from Batu Caves, keep going straight and once you come to the temple, keep left and avoid the flyover. You would then be passing Divine Life Society, Lord Ayyappan Cave Temple on your left and within a short distance, you would be able to sight this restaurant, again on your left. 

Coffee @ RM 1.50
Coffee was good. Definitely not the best that we get at those Indian Muslim restaurants. Still, I would say it was a well fixed drink. Not too much milk and tasted bolder, just the way I like it. This I would rate at 7/10 .

Nasi Lemak @ RM 2.50
It didn't take them too long to send the Nasi Lemak over. At a glance, it looked good and smelled good. The only sight that I didn't like was the old Banana Leaf used. That seemed like one from the week before. Otherwise, it surely looked good. 

The Aroma Was Awesome
The rice was definitely one that was cooked with the right amount of coconut milk as it did taste good. The only setback with it was the fact that it was slightly undercooked. I wonder how they could do such a blunder but it is what it is. If only that was right, then it would have been perfect. For this undercooked preparation, I would rate it at 3/10. Assuming it was properly cooked, then I might have given this a 8.5/10 .

Fried Peanuts Were Fresh And Crispy

Sambal Was Super Good
The fried peanuts were fresh and crispy. And the sambal, that was super good!!! Extremely spicy just the way I love it and the taste was just heavenly. They were also very generous with the amount of belacan added to the preparation. There were no anchovies in it but plain onions and ground chilies. This was a total saviour to the undercooked rice. It was so good that I didn't mind finishing up the entire plate. Truly potent stuff!!! The sambal, I shall rate it at 9/10 . 

If only the rice was properly done, then this would have been bliss. Otherwise, nothing else to complain about the dish. I still have mixed feelings if I should boldly recommend this. The sambal was awesome. No doubt about that. But the rice? Was it an 'only today' accident or does it happen every now and then. Unconvinced, I shall just not cast my vote of confidence.

Address: No. 1, Jalan SM 1, Taman Sunway Batu Caves, 
                68100 Batu Caves, Selangor, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 0800 - 2200 Daily 

No comments:

Post a Comment