Wednesday 13 January 2016

L & L Hawaiian Barbecue @ NU Sentral, Kuala Lumpur

Having started in the year 1976 in Hawaii with over 200 outlets globally, L & L Hawaiian Barbecue has finally set foot in Malaysia with two outlets open in Ampang and NU Sentral Mall.  I have previously tried the food in one of their outlets in Indonesia and absolutely loved it then. Having heard that they have started in Malaysia, I rushed over to their outlet in NU Sentral Mall this afternoon.

The Outlet In NU Sentral Mall

Indoor and Outdoor Seats Available

Simple Yet Elegant Design

Clean Too
The outlet was quite easy to locate as it is visible from the Monorail station. Not a huge restaurant, but one that's rather sufficient and elegantly designed. Clearly they have not tried to imitate any other fast food chains in Malaysia as their design was unique. Simple but nice. They have both indoor and outdoor seating areas. On a hot day like today, the indoor seats seemed like a better choice.

Menu

Menu

Set Meals

Set Meals
Just like any other fast food chain, they too practiced the self service concept, The menu was impressive and I wouldn't deem the prices to be expensive. Once again, I have to wait to see the size of the burger's to justify this. But on paper, they seemed fine. Besides the stand alone orders, combo sets as well as Lunch and Breakfast sets were available and these seemed like value for money. Since they were new, ordering was taking a very long time. In fact it took me close to a 20 minute wait before I could register my orders. Not because there were so many customers, in fact there were just two groups ahead of me. But they took a long time enquiring about all the items on the menu and the manager was kind enough to explain each and every one to them. I wonder if they can't read. After all, it is clearly spelled in the menu. Questions were like I would like to have this burger but I don't eat beef. Can you swap it with chicken? Is that even a question guys. Just simple logical thinking would have answered that for you. Anyway, people are people and they had to ask. So, I had to wait for all that to be cleared before getting a chance to register my orders. With my orders done, I was given a number and had to wait for the burger to be prepared. Seems like nothing is made and kept ready like Mc Donalds and KFC. Staffs were new and inexperienced and that was another reason for the delay. Anyway, they have just started. Give them a few months and these teething issues would be settled and they would surely be polished by then. 

Hawaiian Coffee @ RM 4.50
The drinks were fast. In fact, I got most of my orders in one go except for the Beignets that took a little longer. I went for their set meal and naturally all their sets comes with a soft drink. Wasn't really in the mood for those aerated drinks, so I chose to go with the above coffee. Being a coffee lover, it would not be just if I had not tried their Hawaiian Coffee. RM 4.50 for this? Now that's a little pricey as the volume was nothing much. Nevertheless, taste wise it was good. One of those medium bodied coffees that's suitable for those non hardcore coffee drinkers. I would rate this at 7/10 .  

Flimsy Plastic Cutlery

Aloha Fries
Everything is self service here, including the cutlery and sauces. I hated their cutlery. It was those flimsy, easily breakable plastic cutlery which in my opinion is good for nothing. The fork wouldn't even be usable to prick one of those fries. That was a put off for me. Anyway, since I ordered a burger, that's fine as I could use my hands but if it was any other meat dishes, then it would have been a disaster. But thank God, the tap and washing facilities are good. Coming to their fries, these were part of the set but if one is to go Ala Carte, then these are priced at RM 3.00 . In my opinion, they were good. In fact better than KFC but not as great as Mc Donalds. They were all shoe string cuts and being such, I would have expected them to be a little more crispy. Good but not great. I would rate them at 7.5/10 .

Waikiki Chicken Burger @ RM 8.00

This Was Good

Very Delicious
Their Waikiki Chicken Burger was delicious. It is small (as you can see from the above photograph) and does not come with the usual processed burgers, instead it comes with Chicken patties and that's a welcomed twist. Small, simple but extremely tasty, juicy and filling. Absolutely loved it. And all the ingredients were very fresh, including the green leafs and the buns. Highly recommended! I would rate this at 9/10 . 

2 Piece Beignet Set @ RM 0.99
Wow!!! Their Beignets were excellent. Perhaps one of the best that I have tasted. Very reasonably priced, a set of two Beignets comes at a price of 99 cents which is an excellent value. And they were huge and most importantly, delicious. It was so soft, still hot, creamy and a taste to remember. Another must try item here. I would rate this at 10/10 .

Contact Details
If you happen to be in this area, then this could be a great place for a delicious meal. Lovely environment, great hospitality and good food. A must try!

Address: LG 33, NU Sentral Mall, No. 201, Jalan Tun Sambanthan,
                 50470 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: Mon - Fri   0800 - 2230
                             Sat & Sun 1000 - 2230

Telephone: +603 2276 3594


No comments:

Post a Comment