Wednesday 7 October 2015

Taste Of Chennai @ Rawang, Selangor

Taste Of Chennai is the latest restaurant to open along the Indian street (Jalan Welman) in Rawang, Selangor. They had opened sometime in March this year and within a few days of their opening, I had visited them and tried their Rice and curries. If you would like to read about that experience, please do click on this link. http://venoth.blogspot.my/2015/03/taste-of-chennai-rawang-selangor.html . This evening, I decided on drive back from Kuala Lumpur using the old state road passing through Rawang town and as it was already 5 in the evening, we thought of doing a quick tea stop at this restaurant. Our norms has always been Nesan Curry House which is just a few doors away but since these guys were relatively new, we just wanted to check out the tea time cakes here. 

Restaurant Taste Of Chennai along Jalan Welman, Rawang

Love The Design
This restaurant is not difficult to find. Jalan Welman is just a straight street and this restaurant is located next to the Hong Leong Bank, a few doors away from Nesan Curry House. The design is beautiful, perhaps the best Indian restaurant in Rawang when it comes to design. They have an air conditioned dining hall as well as a small open air area for smokers. Since the all of us smoke, we decided to sit outdoors. Even this section is well decorated and ventilation is taken care of using wall and ceiling fans. 

Our Selection Of Cakes For Tea

Vengayam (Onion) Bajji
I was surprised to find the kind of variety they had as far as the South Indian cakes were concerned and they were all freshly made on site. If I am not mistaken, there were at least 12 varieties and as it was impossible for us to try them all, I just selected a few each from those that we like and this we broke into smaller bits and shared among us. It's for tasting after all and this would be the best way to try as many as possible. I do not know the individual pricing of these items but will provide the total of our bill this evening later on. Now, time to taste the cakes.

Teh Tarik

Teh O

Coca Cola
I had the Teh Tarik, my Dad the Teh O and my brother as always went for a can of Coca Cola. Well, I don't blame him as it was a pretty hot afternoon and we had traveled long mileage the entire day and a sugar boost surely helps. Both the Teh Tarik and the Teh O was good. Perfect South Indian style of preparation with minimal sugar and served hot. For me, I would rate these drinks at 9/10 .

Ulunthu Vadai

Perfect Texture
Their Ulunthu Vadai was very good. Fried to a golden brown perfection, it was soft and extremely tasty. I wonder how they managed to make it as good as the ones found in Tamil Nadu. The inside was soft like cotton. Filled with spices, it was on the spicy side of preparation, nevertheless it was simply great! Loved it. I would rate this at 9.7/10 .

Valakkai (Banana) Bajji

Valakkai (Banana) Bajji
Valakkai Bajji is a common Tamil tea time snack in Tamil Nadu and I was surprised to find this here. This is fried using unripe banana's and as such, the ingredients added in the batter is key for it's taste and these guy's nailed it once again. Thin slices of Banana along with the spicy and thick coating gave it a superb taste. Another good one and I would rate this at 9.5/10 .

Paruppu (Dhall) Vadai

Paruppu (Dhall) Vadai
This Paruppu Vadai was superb! Most places would add very little Dhall but these guys have done an amazing job with this. Also, a lot of masala had been added thus making it quite spicy. Just loved it. I would rate this 10/10 .

Maruvelli Kilangu (Tapioca) Bonda

Maruvelli Kilangu (Tapioca) Bonda
It's been years since I ate some good Maruvelli Kilangu Bonda and this was a real treat for me. Mashed Tapioca along with some grated coconut and sugar and deep fried to perfection. As you can see from the above photograph, it was so soft and I was finding it difficult to hold and take a photograph. Amazing it was! One of the best preparations that I have tried. Not too sweet and just perfect. I would rate this at 10/10 .

Paasipayiru (Green Mung Dhall) Sakkarai Bonda

Paasipayiru (Green Mung Dhall) Sakkarai Bonda
Almost similar to the previous one, this one however was made using Green Mung Dhall, Palm Sugar and similarly deep fried. The taste was heavenly. It was so good that I could not resist having another one. A highly recommended cake here. How can I rate this anything less than a 10/10. Heavenly!

Curry Puffs

Filled With Spicy Curried Potatoes
Their Curry Puffs were good too but not great. The skin was a little hard and should have been slightly softer. The filling however was tasty. I think an Indian from India must be making these cakes and that is why all the previous ones were excellent except this one which is very much a Malaysian version.I would rate this at 7.5/10 .

Vengayam (Onion) Bajji
Another one of my favourite snacks that was simply perfect here. Though it was deep fried, the onions were still fresh and tasty and very much tasted like an Indian Version to Onion Rings or perhaps it's the other way round. He he. Jokes aside, excellent it was. I would rate this at 9.8/10 .

Us Having Tea
Overall, I am amazed with the Tea Time cakes here. Everything that we tried was excellent except for the Curry Puffs which could have been better. We had 10 cakes plus Teh O, Teh Tarik and a can of Coca Cola and the bill was RM 10.60 . Cheap? I think that it's an amazing deal. Surely a place that I would highly recommend for Tea!

Address: No. 63, Jalan Welman, 48000 Rawang, Selangor, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 0700 - 2200 Daily

No comments:

Post a Comment