Tuesday 14 April 2015

Ammars Indian Cakes Stall @ Brickfields, Kuala Lumpur

Looking for a good place to buy Indian cakes? Then Ammars Indian Cakes Stall should be your ideal destination. I was recommended this place by a good friend of mine. His recommendations are always very reliable and today being the Tamil New Year, I decided to drop by to get some Indian cakes to be taken back home. 

Ammars Indian Cakes Stall In Brickfields

Located Right At The Open Air Car Park
This stall is located along Jalan Tun Sambanthan, just beside the old EON Bank (now Hong Leong Bank) and is situated in the open air car park. If you know where Money's Corner is, then this is just opposite that food court. I believe that this is a family run business and they start as early as 8 am and this goes on till about 7 pm daily.  This is just a simple stall that operates under a canopy but I was informed that they have been there for a number of years now. 

A Variety Of Cakes Available

All Freshly Made

Non Stop Flow Of Customers
As you can see, they easily have a variety of 18 different cakes at least and all the cakes were freshly prepared on site. You could see the family members assisting with the preparations and these are all freshly fried. The lady manning the stall is quite friendly. All you have to do is to pick up one of the baskets, select your cakes and hand it over to her. She would then calculate the price and tie them all up in a plastic bag and hand it over to you. Her cakes are priced from 70 cents to RM 1.00 each. Just like everyone else, I too did the same and my total cost came to RM 13.00 for today's selection. I had asked her to double pack for me and she willingly obliged.

My Selection Of Cakes For The Day

My Selection Of Cakes For The Day
These photos were taken once I was back home. I picked up some Curry Puffs, Samosa's, Masala Vadai, Ulunthu Vadai and another sweet one containing Green Mung Dhall. As mentioned earlier, the total cost for these were RM 13.00 .

Ulunthu Vadai
Their Ulunthu Vadai's were very soft and they were very rich with spices. Even from the above photograph, you could see how much of dried chilies, onions and other spices were used to prepare these. As mentioned earlier, the best part about these Vadai's were their softness, one that is quite rare these days and they tasted great too. I would rate these at 9.5/10 .

Masala Vadai
Their Masala Vadai was good too. It tasted rich, slightly spicy and crispy, just the way it should be. But, if I were to compare between this and the earlier Vadai, then I would say that the previous was better. This was good but it could have been better. I would rate this at 8.5/10 .

Green Mung Dhall Cakes
These were very delicious. Seriously one of the best preparation that I have tried. The outer layer was so soft and the Green Mung Dhall fillings were sweet and delicious. This was an excellent one and I would rate this at 9.5/10 .

Potato Samosa
Their Potato Samosa's were good too. It was crispy yet soft on the inside. The Potato preparation had been prepared more like the North Indian style and as such, it was not on the spicy side. Despite it being good, I felt that it was not excellent and I have definitely tasted much better ones. For me, this was just good only and I would rate this at 8/10 .

Potato Curry Puffs
These were excellent! What I liked most about these were the Potato filling itself. Despite being Potato fillings like the earlier Samosa, this and the Samosa's had a very differently tasting fillings and this was quite spicy, just the way I love it. Made in accordance to the South Indian way. For me, this was superb and I would rate this at 9.6/10 .

These were just a handful of what this stall has to offer. Generally, they all tasted good and some were exceptionally good. I am sure that her other cakes too would be equally good and the number of customers speaks for itself. They have been in this business for ages and I am sure that they know what they are doing. This stalls greatest advantage is the available spread. I doubt that one would be able to get this many variety under one roof anywhere else in Kuala Lumpur. Definitely a place worth visiting when you are in this part of town.

Address: Beside Hong Leong Bank, Jalan Tun Sambanthan, Brickfields, 
                50470 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 0830 - 1900 Daily

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! Have a Prosperous & Mouth- Watering Year ahead!
    Glad more Indians are branching out into the business scene, as this lady has.
    If I am ever in that vicinity , it's a must try.Glad you found this stall that sells Indian cakes for all to try...the variety is splendid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you DeNiSe for the kind wishes! Yes, please do and hope that you'd find her cakes to be towards your liking too...... :)

      Delete