Monday 19 January 2015

Restoran Rijayah @ Hulu Bernam, Selangor

Restaurant Rijayah is located along the main road on the Ulu Bernam side of town. Assuming if you are coming in from Tanjung Malim heading towards Ulu Bernam, this restaurant is located on the left just before the turning into Jalan Changkat Asa. I have always seen this restaurant but never really knew what they actually sold until today when I was introduced to this restaurant by a friend.

The Restaurant Visible From The Main Trunk Road

The Restaurant

Customers At The Restaurant

They Have A TV Too

Making Roti Canai
I always thought that this was a Chinese Restaurant as whenever I used to pass by, most if not all their customers were Chinese. Even today it was the same and I was shocked to learn that this is actually an Indian Restaurant. The name of the place is Restaurant Rijayah but it is fondly called as Akka Kadai by the locals. 

The Menu

The Menu
It was interesting to note that they also sell Chinese food here. I was told by my friend that the famous items here are their Roti Canai, Nasi Lemak, Hokkien Mee, Cantonese Style Noodles and Chili Chicken. I was surely impressed to see an Indian preparing these dishes and the place is well supported by the local Chinese and Indian folks. The restaurant is simple and is a no frills place. I observed that the family lived here too, on the rear side of the shop lot. 

Chinese Tea @ RM 0.30

Teh Tarik @ RM 1.10
Everyone working here is a family member. One takes the orders, one prepares the curries,one makes the Roti Canai and one does the cooking while the mother prepares the drinks. The place was a pleasant environment to be in and no wonder I see a lot of customers here who sit till the wee hours sipping a drink and enjoying their meal. As for today, my friend ordered Chinese Tea which was priced at RM 0.30 and I ordered a cup of Teh Tarik which was priced at RM 1.10 . Their Tea was good and I would rate it at 8.3/10 and the prices are cheap.

Hokkien Mee @ RM 5.00

Hokkien Mee @ RM 5.00
As it was highly recommended, I decided to try their Hokkien Mee. This usually comes with the Chili Paste but they were out of it tonight and I had to just make do with some Bird Eye Chilies. The portion was huge for RM 5.00 . Taste wise, it was nice but definitely not comparable to those specialty Hokkien Mee outlets. This is considered good for a normal restaurant. I would rate this preparation at 7/10 .

Roti Canai @ RM 1.00

Non Greasy Roti Canai


Fantastic Chicken Curry

I also tried out their Roti Canai and this was served with some Chicken Curry. Their Roti Canai is priced at RM 1.00 each and is served with a choice of either Chicken Curry, Fish Curry or Sambar. The Roti Canai here is also slightly thicker and was made using very little oil. For Roti Canai fans who would love a non greasy Roti, then this would be the place. Their Roti Canai was quite good and I enjoyed it. I would rate their Roti Canai at 9.3/10 . Their Chicken Curry was excellent. It was so delicious that I asked for some more and literally drank it like some soup. I would rate their curry at 9.8/10 .

Compared to their earlier Hokkien Mee, their Roti Canai was way better. I would definitely return soon to try out their Nasi Lemak as that too was highly recommended by my friend and even as I was sitting here tonight, there were quite a number of them that were ordering that dish and it looked good. This is a place that I would recommend for their Roti Canai and not so much of their Hokkien Mee unless one would want to try a Halal version of that dish.

Address: Located Along Jalan Besar (Just Before Jalan Changkat Asa Turning),
                35900 Hulu Bernam, Selangor , Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 1800 - 0400 Daily

No comments:

Post a Comment