Saturday 8 November 2014

Jack's Curry House @ Solaris Dutamas (Publika), Kuala Lumpur

Jack's Curry House is another newly opened restaurant in Solaris Dutamas (Publika) serving Banana Leaf Meals. I saw their advertisements on Facebook and they seemed to be running some good promotions for the month of November since they had just started operations this month. Being a Banana Leaf Food lover, my brother and I decided to check them out this weekend. 

Jack's Curry House in Publika

Large Indoor and Outdoor Seating Spaces

The Curries Station
As always, we were late and were here for a late afternoon lunch. At this hour and being a weekend, there was not much crowd here. The place was very clean and the staffs were very friendly. I am sure that they have not gotten much exposure yet as there are just a handful of Indian restaurants in this locality, else they would surely be full house. 

Food Prices

Food Prices

Food Prices
I was very surprised to see their pricing. All the items were competitively priced and definitely very cheap for this part of Kuala Lumpur. Besides the above, they were also running some value sets specifically for the month of November 2014. Otherwise, the above pricing shall remain. I then went over to their curries station to check out the variety that they had for the day. They surely had a decent spread, not all the items listed were available. I believe this is due to the fact that they have not gotten much exposure yet and hence preparing too much food without takers shall just be a waste. Nevertheless, the spread was still good.

Basic Banana Leaf Meal @ RM 6.00
Their basic Banana Leaf meal comes with Rice, unlimited gravy, three variety of vegetables, fried bitter gourd, Papadams, Moor Milagai (pickled chilies), Rasam and some pickles. Do note that their portions of vegetables were lavish and this includes the fried bitter gourd and they kept coming back to me later to add on more vegetables. My brother however wanted to just have his meal on a plate and so his was RM 1.50 for plain white rice and extra RM 1.50 for two vegetables added on. I would reckon that too to be very cheap. Assuming I just went for a plate meal, then my lunch would only cost me RM 3.00 which a very good deal on this part of town.

Stir Fried Bean Sprouts
Their Stir Fried Bean Sprouts were pretty good and they were fresh and not overcooked. Mildly spicy, this was definitely well prepared. I would rate this vegetable at 8/10 .

Stir Fried Cabbage
Their cabbage was also nice but slightly on the oily side. Nevertheless, it was decent and I would rate this at 6.5/10 .


This was awesome. Cooked with loads of dhall and ghee, this tasted really good. I would rate this at 9/10 .

Papadams, Moor Milagai and Pickles
Their Papadams too were fresh and crisp, not the foldable type. The Moor Milagai once again was fresh and their Pickles (Oorgai) was again good. Do note that they kept coming back to me to top these items up as they were running out.

Fried Bitter Gourd
This was really good and being a fan of Bitter Gourd, I just come not help falling in love with this dish. They were fried to perfection, crisp and deliciously marinated. Excellent dish! I would rate this at 9.5/10 . Do observe the portions too, it was huge and part of the Banana Leaf Meal set without additional charges.

Sambar
I first tried out their Sambar. It was good and had balanced flavours. Definitely a good preparation and there is nothing much to comment about this. I would rate this at 8.3/10 .

Fish Curry
Their Fish Gravy was off. It was watery, kind of diluted and not up to the mark. Taste was also quite average. There is lots of improvement that needs to go into this dish. I would only rate this at 6/10 . 

Rasam
To be honest, their Rasam was horrible! I am not sure who made this because the rest of the items were quite good and this being horrible, was indeed a huge gap. Not drinkable material. I would only rate this at 2/10 .

Chicken Perattal @ Promo Price RM 3.00 (Usual Price RM 6.00)
This was one of their promotional items. Go for a Banana Leaf Meal combo with Chicken Perattal for RM 9.00 only. Otherwise, it would have been RM 6 for the meal and RM 6 again for the Chicken Perattal. Definitely a good deal. The Chicken Perattal was very good. Mostly meaty chunks with very minimal bones and it was prepared on the spicy side with lots of spices making it a really great dish. I thoroughly enjoyed this. I would rate this dish at 9.3/10 .

Mutton Varuval @ RM 7.50

Mutton Varuval @ RM 7.50
This again was a good dish but it was not the best that I have tried. The plus points here is that it was all meat with no fat and very little bones. The chunks too were marinated well. The minus is that there could have been more spices added to this to have made it anytime better. My rating for this shall be 8/10.

Prawn Sambal @ RM 8.00

Prawn Sambal @ RM 8.00
The above Prawn Sambal was excellent. The dish came with a decent portion of prawns and some small cubes of potato's in a thick and spicy gravy. Wonderfully prepared and I have absolutely nothing to comment about this dish. I would not mind returning here just for these prawns. I would rate this at 9.8/10 . Highly recommended!

Bill
Overall, I am very happy with the food here, just one or two items which needs improvements. The staffs were very friendly, efficient and always attentive to customers needs. The prices too seem reasonable to me, if not cheap for this area when compared to the other Indian restaurants here. Definitely a place that deserves to stay on and I hope that the word of mouth travels around to give these guys some good support. Keep up the great work guys and just try to improve on one or two matters which I have highlighted. Otherwise, you're right on track!

Address: A2-G1-03, Solaris Dutamas (Publika), Jalan Solaris Dutamas 1,
                50480 Mont Kiara, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Telephone: +6012 331 9025

Opening Hours: 0630 - 2300 Daily

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jackscurryhousepublika/timeline?ref=page_internal

No comments:

Post a Comment