Saturday 4 October 2014

KL City Restaurant @ Lebuh Ampang, Kuala Lumpur

KL City Restaurant is located in an alleyway in Lebuh Ampang, Kuala Lumpur. I have visited this restaurant once in January this year and was a little disappointed with the food there. Nevertheless, since we were in the area this evening, I decided to give them a try again.

KL City Restaurant in Lebuh Ampang

Walk In To Reach The Restaurant

Interior of the Restaurant
It was way past lunch hour and still there was a decent amount of crowd heading to this place. There is a huge sign on the front entrance of this restaurant but you would see that the main road facing tenant is a newspaper vendor. On the right, there would be a small door leading into a tunnel-like entrance. Just walk in for about 50 meters and you would come to a broader space where the restaurant is. All their staffs are from Tamil Nadu, India and so are most of their customers. To my surprise, there was a huge number of Malay customers in the restaurant when I was there. I was all excited to try the food as I was anticipating great food here. The layout is a no frills design yet it was comfortable and clean. The staffs attended to me quite fast and ordering was a breeze.

Basic Banana Leaf Meal @ RM 5.00
The basic Banana Leaf meal comes with three vegetables, Papadam and some pickles. Compared to my last visit, they served better vegetables this time.


This vegetable was good. It tasted lovely with a balanced spice and flavours. I would rate this at 8.5/10 .


Compared to my last visit, the cucumber acar was much better this time. The cucumber was fresh and it was good. I would rate this at 8.5/10 .


Potato and Long Beans Kootu. This was the best vegetable that was served today. Absolutely loved it and I would rate this at 9.3/10 . Do note that they are stingy with vegetables, probably many leave lots of wastage and hence you have to ask them to top up at the first serving.

Chicken Gravy
For my first helping, I went with their Chicken Gravy. The Kulambu was a disappointment. It just lacked spices and was quite bland in taste. I would only rate this at 4/10 .

Trying Their Fish Gravy
The Fish Gravy was superb! In fact it was fantastic. Absolutely perfect preparation and I would rate this at 9.7/10 . A must try gravy here.

Rasam
They have both plain Rasam and Chicken Rasam here. I have tried their Chicken Rasam before and hence went for their plain Rasam. It was good too. Absolutely nothing to complain. I would rate their Rasam at 8.8/10 .

Fried Tenggiri Fish @ RM 4.00
Definitely one of the cheapest places in Klang Valley for this Fried Fish. Most other restaurants charge around RM 6 for the above. Taste wise, it was good too. Although it was pre fried, still it was fresh. I would rate their Fried Fish at 8.9/10 .

Chicken Varuval @ RM 5.00
The Chicken Varuval again was very good. There definitely has been great improvement on the food here. This came with meaty chicken chunks and lots of spicy gravy around the meat. Definitely a recommended dish. I would rate this at 8.8/10 .

Crab Masala @ RM 6.00

Crab Masala @ RM 6.00

Crab Masala @ RM 6.00
The Crab Masala here was absolutely heavenly. Simply superb! Nothing else to say about the dish. A must try here. I would rate this at 9.8/10 . For the portion, the price is definitely very cheap too.

Lunch In Progress

Lunch in Progress
As we were having our meals, my doubts were cleared. It is clear that they are stingy with the vegetables at the first serving due to wastage. As we were finishing the vegetables and rice, every now and then, the staffs came up to us to top up the vegetables. This they did by self observation. Not even once have I had to call them to top the sides. Great service!

Teh O @ RM 0.80

Indian Filter Coffee @ RM 2.50

Indian Filter Coffee @ RM 2.50
The Teh O was good and I would rate it at 9/10 . The Filter Coffee however was simply superb! I would rate this at 9.8/10 . A must try for coffee lovers.

From today's visit, it is clear that the food has tremendously improved and the prices are relatively cheap, in fact much cheaper than many restaurants located even along Lebuh Ampang. This restaurant now comes highly recommended! A must try if you happen to be in this locality.

Address: No. 34, Lebuh Ampang, 50100 Kuala Lumpur.

Opening Hours: 0600 - 2200 Daily

Telephone: +603 2078 2217

No comments:

Post a Comment