Wednesday 2 April 2014

Restoran Kanna Curry House @ Seksyen 17, Petaling Jaya

There has been so many mixed reviews on this place recently, mostly being negative. But I was curious to try them out as they were awarded the Best Banana Leaf Restaurant in 2012 and Best Indian Restaurant in 2011. Being a Banana Leaf meal lover, I decided to check this place out myself and try their main outlet in Seksyen 17, Petaling Jaya for lunch today.

Kanna Curry House in Petaling Jaya

The Restaurant

Interior of the Restaurant

The Curry's Station
As always, parking is a problem here but fortunately, we managed to get a parking quite close by to the restaurant. The restaurant was crowded when we arrived. It was well ventilated and was decently clean. The staffs here didn't seem to have any sense of customer satisfaction and seemed quite arrogant. I had to call them a number of times and hesitatingly, one guy turned up to our table with a sour face. I wasn't in the mood to be hostile to him and hence we just quietly placed the orders and he just walked away without uttering a word of acknowledgement. Just hope that he sends the right items to the table later. 

Teh O Ice @ RM 1.60
The drinks came in paper cups like the above. I understand that this is more hygienic and convenient as they just dispose them after use but still would have preferred a glass instead. The drink was just so so, there was very limited tea in the drink and it was quite flat. I would rate this at 5/10 .

Banana Leaf Meal @ RM 6.00 each
The basic Banana Leaf Rice meal comes with three vegetables and is priced at RM 6.00 per set. They did not even serve us Papadams or pickles to go with the set. This was annoying as those are mandatory items to go with any Banana Leaf Rice meal. I was also annoyed when they served the meal on a paper leaf instead of a real leaf. When we say Banana Leaf Rice, I expect it to be served on real Banana Leaf, this was a definite put off for me. 

Cucumber in Yogurt
The portion of each vegetables too were limited and they were very stingy when I asked to top up. This Cucumber in Yogurt was just okay, the preparation was nothing great with limited amount of yogurt used in the preparation. I would rate this at 6/10 .

Vegetable with Dhall
This vegetable was over cooked and should they have added more dhall and ghee to this, it would have been very much better. This was just okay for me. I would rate this at 5.5/10 .

Pumpkin Curry
The Pumpkin curry was much better than the other two vegetables served. At least this had some flavour to it. I would rate this at 7.5/10 .

Sambar
They had three different curries to offer with the rice, Sambar, Fish Curry and Chicken Curry. The above Sambar was good, it was packed with flavours and I was delighted to finally taste something good here. I would rate their Sambar at 9/10 .

Fish Curry
The Fish Curry was also delicious and I was very impressed with their Fish Curry. All the spices were perfectly balanced. I would rate this at 9.3/10 .

Chicken Curry
Once again, their Chicken Curry was another excellent dish. Wonderfully prepared, this would get a rating of 9.3/10 from me.

Mutton Perattal @ RM 6.80

Mutton Perattal @ RM 6.80
The Mutton Perattal was not that great. Honestly, being a mutton lover, I was disappointed with this dish. The meat had too much fat and the gravy was too salty and not as great as it looks. I would only rate this at 6.8/10 .

Fried Tenggiri Fish @ RM 5.00

Fried Tenggiri Fish @ RM 5.00
Their Fried Tenggiri Fish was nice, though not the best that I have tried and it is nowhere when compared with the one that you get at Krishna Curry House. Nevertheless, it was nicely flavoured but a tad too dry. I would rate this at 7/10 only. For the price, the cut size is decent. 

Prawn Sambal @ RM 7.00

Prawn Sambal @ RM 7.00
This dish was a cut throat. Six small prawns for the price of RM 7.00 seems ridiculous to me. Taste wise too, it was just mediocre. The gravy too was nowhere as spicy as it looks. No, not a dish that I would order here again. I would rate this at 6/10 .

Chicken Perattal @ RM 5.00

Chicken Perattal @ RM 5.00
Their Chicken Perattal was much better than the earlier dishes. The gravy was good and spicy but the portion was small. However, for the price of RM 5.00, it was acceptable. I would rate this at 8.5/10 .

Rasam
Rasam comes complimentary with the Banana Leaf Rice meals and even this, I had to ask for it at the end of the meal or else, we would have not been provided with it. Their Rasam was decent and could have been much better if it was a little more concentrated. I would rate this at 8.5/10 .

In summary, this place just fared okay with me. Their Banana Leaf set was disappointing, the curries excellent but most of their meat dishes were once again disappointing. I would perhaps return here for a vegetarian meal only and not for their meat dishes. I truly feel that they are only surviving from the fame earned in the yesteryear's and not for their current food standards. Price wise, they are not high like some other reviews. If you look at their neighbours Raju's, this is way cheaper but once again, the food is nothing great at all.

Address: No. 29, Jalan 17/45, Seksyen 17, 
                46400 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia.

Telephone: +603 7958 4814

Opening Hours: 0930 - 2330 Daily

1 comment: