Thursday 31 October 2013

Wai Sek Kai SS2 (SS2 Food Court) @ SS2, Petaling Jaya

Wai Sek Kai SS2 as it is fondly known, is a food court that has been around for ages in SS2, Petaling Jaya. I have always avoided heading here, especially if I am driving, as the traffic along this stretch of SS2 is horrendous almost everyday right till midnight. Today, since my parents were down for the Deepavali holidays and as it was almost quite late at night and not having wanted to venture far into the city, moreover I was not too sure where else would be open at this hour, I decided to bring them here for dinner. Surprisingly, the roads were quite deserted today and there were so many parking bays available. Usually one would have to go in circles for almost an hour to find a parking bay. I guess, many city dwellers must have headed out of the city for the long weekend. 

Entrance to the Food Court

Spoilt For Choices
There are two food courts in this area, one is this Wai Sek Kai and the other which is on the other end of this SS2 square is a food court catering specifically for Halal food. This one serves only non halal dishes. There are almost a hundred stalls here serving a number of dishes, some being more famous than the other. I did some homework before heading here and jotted down the stall numbers for these famous stalls and decided to stick by them. This place opens from 5 pm daily and is supposed to be open until midnight but from my observation today, most of them run out of food by around 11 pm, some even earlier and therefore it is best to come here rather early to be able to get a better selection of choices. Drinks are sold by a number of stalls and they would usually approach you at your table to get the orders. For food, you have to walk up to the stalls, place your orders and mention your table number and the dishes would be then sent over to your table. Having known what my parents usually like to have, I told them to guard the fort and went out looking for the stalls based on my homework done.

Stall 52

Penang Prawn Mee @ RM 5.00
Penang Prawn Mee is one of my dad's favourite dishes. It took them roughly around 10 minutes to deliver the dish. The dish came with a good amount of noodles, fish cakes, prawns, shredded chicken and some fried onion garnishing it. I was told by my father that the dish was quite good and based on the recommendations, I would rate this dish at 8.8/10 .

Yong Tau Foo & Chee Cheong Fun Stall

Chee Cheong Fun @ RM 3.00
The above Chee Cheong Fun came from the first stall selling this item from the main entrance which would be on the left as you walk in. For the amount chosen, the price is quite reasonable. The preparation was also good. I would rate this dish at 8.5/10 .

Stall No. 8

Char Kuey Teow with extra Lap Cheong @ RM 6.00

Closer Look at the Dish
This stall came highly recommended and being a Char Kuey Teow lover, I decided that I must try it out. He sells a number of different Fried Noodle dishes and they all seem to be selling quite well. In fact, he was loaded with orders that it took them almost 30 minutes to send over my order. I had asked for extra Chinese Sausage and it came exactly as I had ordered. The CKT was really good, loaded with cockles & prawns and the Wok Hei was up to the mark. The spices were rightly balanced and truly it was a treat. I would rate this CKT at 9.5/10 .

Stall 55....famous for Grilled Fish

Grilled Stingray Penang Style @ RM 9.00
This Stall number 55 seems to be very famous for their Grilled Fish and this is based on the crowd that were lining up to place orders compared to the other Grilled Fish stalls. I had ordered two dishes from them and they only sent the first dish after 40 minutes. The first one to arrive was the above Grilled Stingray Penang Style. The price of RM 9.00 was a tad high for the size of the cut. The preparation was good but I was not impressed. Some parts were slightly charred and it was quite dry and lacked the juice from the fish. Even their dip sauce was not up to the mark and was rather watery for me. I would rate this dish at 7/10 .

Indonesian Style Grilled Fish @ RM 17.00
This is the Indonesian Style Grilled Fish. It comes grilled (though it looked more deep fried to me) with some spicy chili paste on the top. I found this much better compared to the earlier dish yet, the price of RM 17.00 for this fish seems expensive. The Fish was crispy which is good and the chili paste given went quite well with the fish. The only setback was the limited amount of the Chili Paste so much so when you turn the fish around, there is no more Chili Paste and you would only have to eat it with the dip sauce which was very watery. They should have given more of the Chili Paste or poured a layer just above the leaf before placing the fish and then another layer on the fish which would have been ideal. Otherwise, it was a good dish. I would rate this dish at 8.7/10 .

Overall this place is great as you get a wonderful variety of food for very reasonable prices. The food is also good but the only setback on normal days that hinders me from coming here more often is the traffic. I just wish that that can be resolved by the city council in the near future. Otherwise, this place definitely comes highly recommended. 

Address: Jalan SS2/62, 47300 Petaling Jaya, Selangor.

Opening Hours: 1700 - 0000 Daily

No comments:

Post a Comment