Sunday 28 July 2013

1983 A Taste Of Nanyang @ Terminal 1 Changi International Airport, Singapore

Located at the Departure Hall in Terminal 1, is this little cafe called 1983 A Taste of Nanyang which is simply a small booth which sells a handful of their famous dishes. 

1983 A Taste of Nanyang's outlet in Terminal 1
Their concept is fairly simple and they share seating spaces with a few other similar outlets. All I had to do was to get in line, decide on what I wanted to have, pay the cash and then again wait in another line for the food to be handed over. All their workers seemed to be foreigners and they were managing the crowd efficiently. 

The Menu

The Menu

The Menu
As for the above photographs, the offering was fairly limited to a handful of items. This made it even more easier for them to handle the quick churn of customers as there was not many variety of dishes to worry about. Most of the items for these limited dishes were already prepared and all they had to do was to add the right amounts in and serve. The possible waiting time would have been for the bread and toast. 

Cold Drinks

Drinks Station
After placing my orders, I just moved on to another line and waited for my order to be handed over. There were a number of stations within this small booth nicely arranged to give them the maximum output from this small space. There were four main stations. The first being the drinks station, noodles station, bread & toast station and Nasi Lemak station. Everyone was working as efficiently possible and it was beautiful seeing them at work. Within six minutes, I received my meal which is a quick turn around time. 

Hainanese Coffee@ SGD 1.50
I must say that I was impressed with the coffee. Though made by foreigners, they have been trained well and the coffee was as good as the ones that you get outside in Hainanese Restaurants. The only set back, if any, is the paper cup. Otherwise it was pretty good and I would rate this at 10/10 .

Mee Siam @ SGD 3.80
Served in a small paper bowl is the Mee Siam. To me, this was not up to the mark. Though they had taken the initiative to give one full boiled egg, some shredded chicken and etc., the broth was extremely sour which is not how this should be and it was extremely oily too which had a really bad aftertaste. I only had a third of it or probably less and had to let it go. There is great room for improvement here and it definitely needs to be done immediately. A no go by my standards. I would rate this at 3/10 .

Local Traditional Toast @ SGD 1.70

This toast, in contrary was really nice. It saved my day or else I would have been hungry as I did not have any more time to waste due to my flight schedule. I must say that the bread was really fresh and it was good. The Kaya and Butter were lavish and that made it truly nice. Recommended item here. My rating for this would be 9/10 .

On the whole based on my experience tonight, I would only return here for the Toast and Coffee but they also claim that their Nasi Lemak is one of the famous dishes in Singapore. I may give them another opportunity in the future by just trying their Nasi Lemak but would definitely not touch any of those in the Noodles section. 

Address: Departure Hall, Terminal 1, Changi International Airport, Singapore.

Opening Hours: 24 Hours Daily


No comments:

Post a Comment