Wednesday 17 April 2013

Shihlin Taiwanese Street Snacks @ Mont Kiara, Kuala Lumpur

Being located in the Lower Ground Floor of 1 Mont Kiara Mall is this little chain of outlets called Shihlin Taiwanese Street Snacks. I believe that they have a number of outlets in Malaysia strategically located in upmarket malls. Having originated in Taiwan, it sells some of Taiwan's famous street foods that are typically take away in concept.

Shihlin Taiwanese Street Snacks at 1 Mont Kiara Mall

Halal Status

One Of Their New Items Being Explained
All its outlets are of the kiosk concept. There are just a few seats available which is shared with another two kiosks. Having it this way keeps the overheads much lower as the space required is much lesser and you do not need waiters to wait the tables.

Simple One Page Menu

The Few Items and Their Prices

Counter & Kitchen Attached
As you can see from their menu, they only sell a handful of items and all it takes them to get at outlet going is just two foreign workers, one manning the cashier and washing the dishes and the other cooking the food. The concept is pretty simple. Just stand in line and place your orders and pay at the cashier. You are then able to see your orders being cooked and once ready, just collect them and off you go. Most of their food items are simple ones and hence it does not take a very long time to collect them. At most, your wait time is around 15 minutes.

Crispy Floss Egg Crepe Being Cooked

Crispy Floss Egg Crepe @ RM 6.00
This is the first time that I am trying this dish and I really liked it. It had a very unique taste to it. The outer layers were quite crispy and sweet and the egg surely adds taste to it. The chicken floss also added great taste. On the whole, I would rate this dish at 8.5/10 .

XXL Crispy Chicken @ RM 6.50

The XXL Chicken Exposed
I was told that the above dish is a common snack in Taiwan but I surely did not like it. One it tasted too artificial. The spices did not really stick on to it but was just like a thick coating that pealed off easily. It was also very high in MSG and consistently makes you thirsty. Definitely a non healthy item. I would only rate this at 5/10 . I most probably would not go for this dish again. Moreover the portion size is so huge that you can share it with another two.

Sweet Plum Potato Fries @ RM 4.50
I am not sure why this is called Sweet Plum Potato because there was no plum taste to it. It was pretty much Sweet Potato Fries and I liked this dish. It was unique because I have never tried Sweet Potato Fries and above that, in contrary to the usual Potato Fries, this has an embedded sweet taste to it which was lovely. It was also not too soggy though not crispy as it should be, but okay. I would rate this at 7/10 . Surely something that I would try here again.

Though being Taiwanese, it was strategically a good business decision to get the Halal status as they do attract a reasonable Muslim crowd. On the whole, this place offers some decent food except for the XXL Chicken, at least to me. I was also told that their Mee Sua tastes pretty good but unfortunately it was sold out today. Perhaps I would try that the next time I am here.

Address: Lot 19, Lower Ground Floor, 1 Mont Kiara Mall,
                No.1, Jalan Kiara, 50480 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 1000 - 2200

Web: www.ShihlinSnacks.com.tw

1 comment: