Sunday 24 March 2013

Roast Kitchen @ Taman Tun Dr. Ismail, Kuala Lumpur

Having heard of another Halal Roast Duck outlet in TTDI immediately created excitement in me. With that, I decided that I am definitely heading there for dinner tonight.

Roast Kitchen in TTDI

Entrance to the restaurant

Roast Duck and Chicken on display

Roast Duck and Chicken
The restaurant is easy to find. If you know the famous Pizza Hut outlet in Taman Tun Dr. Ismail, this is just a few doors away from it. Same row as Maxis outlet. The signage is quite clear and even from outside, you are able to see the Roasted Ducks and Chicken hung up at the display counter. The door itself is well decorated with loads of newspaper cuttings on this restaurant. Also included are various other write ups from independent magazines.

Small But Functional Kitchen

Endorsement by Jalan Jalan Cari Makan Team

Interior of the restaurant

Interior of the restaurant
The moment I appeared at the door, I was greeted by the outlet manager and the owner. I like the reception given by them and immediately I was ushered to a table. I must say that the interior design of this restaurant is beautiful, simple and cosy. Above all, it's very clean. As you can see from the above photographs, the Jalan Jalan Cari Makan team had also visited this restaurant and given their endorsement.

The Menu

The Menu
The menu was simple yet comprehensive. It seems that they do not only serve Roasted Duck but also BBQ Chicken, Roast Chicken, Crispy Roast Duck, Herbal Roast Duck and Honey Roasted BBQ Beef. Besides this, there are also a few other dishes that incorporate the above meat creatively. I placed my orders after scanning through the menu thoroughly. Unfortunately, the Crispy Roast Duck was sold out by this time of the day. In fact, there was just a few more pieces of the Roast Duck and BBQ Chicken. Some of those birds hanging in the kitchen were already pre-booked by customers. Seems like its quite a hit among it's loyal customers. I am so eager to try their food now.

Chinese Tea F.O.C. with the set rice
I was asked to order my drink and then they asked me if Chinese Tea was good, and I agreed. I was informed that Chinese Tea is already included into the Chicken/Duck Rice sets. I love the colour choices of their cutlery.

Roast Duck Rice @ RM 7.80
Finally the much awaited meal arrives. The rice was quite nice but the Roast Duck was a let down. I am not saying that it was bad. It was good but not excellent. I would only rate the Roast Duck at 7/10 . Anyone can argue saying that this is quite good for a Halal Roast Duck but then again, not very far from here there is another place in Kota Damansara called Restoran Izwan Woon Abdullah which serves greater Halal Roast Duck. Here is a link to my past review of that restaurant http://venoth.blogspot.com/2013/03/restoran-izwan-woon-abdullah-kota.html .


Vegetable Soup 
The above soup comes complimentary with the set. The soup was nice and I would rate it at 7/10 .

BBQ Chicken Thigh @ RM 7.00
I also wanted to taste the BBQ Chicken and hence ordered a dish of that too. This by far is the best BBQ Chicken I have ever tried. This would surely score 10/10 . I believe this BBQ Chicken deserves greater mention that the Roast Duck sold here. A highly commendable dish. Excellent!!!

Hong Kong Style Chili Oil

Hong Kong Style Chili Oil
The above Hong Kong Style Chili Oil is served complimentary at this place. It is made from the owners secret recipe and I was told by the owner himself that it takes hours to make this. There are a lot of fans for this Chili Oil and he also sells them by the bottles. I did taste this Chili Oil and I must say, it is surely an excellent Chili Oil and goes very well with the dishes. I would rate this Chili Oil at 9/10 .

Man Tao Duck Buns @ RM 6.80

Man Tao Duck Buns @ RM 6.80

This was another specialty dish here. I could not eat anymore at this point and had to take away this dish. I find their buns to be very sweet yet soft and fluffy. The Roasted Duck filling goes well and the Chili Oil surely adds great flavour here. I would rate these buns at 8.5/10 .

Char Kueh with Sweet Wasabi Sauce @ RM 5.80
This was another dish that I took away. But I find this dish a little disappointing. Firstly the Char Kuey's were very hard and then the Sweet Wasabi Sauce only formed an external coating instead of it seeping into the cake. This external coating surely contributed to the hardening of the Char Kueh. I would only rate this at 6/10 .

BBQ Chicken Thigh Rice Set @ RM 7.80
This was another of the above set that I have tried which I took away. As I have already mentioned about this above, there is nothing much to add here just that this preparation here sets a very high standard for the others out there.

Contact Information

Location Map
On the whole, this is a good restaurant to dine in. Their must try items is surely the BBQ Chicken, followed by the Roast Duck and Man Tao Buns. The restaurant is clean, cosy and the staffs are friendly and helpful. The price is also not expensive. If there was one thing that you must try here, it has got to be the BBQ Chicken.

Address: 23, Jalan Wan Kadir 2, Taman Tun Dr. Ismail,
                60000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Telephone: +603 7732 0006

Email: roastkitchen@gmail.com

Opening Hours: 1100 - 2100 Daily

1 comment:

  1. This is a topic that is near to my heart… Take care! Exactly where are your contact details though?
    How To Roast A Duck

    ReplyDelete