Friday, 15 February 2013

Vishal Food & Catering @ Brickfields, Kuala Lumpur

This is the second time I am visiting this restaurant over the past two weeks. As I mentioned before in my previous entry on this restaurant, this is indeed the best place to have Banana Leaf meals. The last trip, it was just the two of us and this time, there was six of us and it surely gives me an opportunity to try more dishes.

Vishal Food & Catering along Scott Road
This restaurant is very easy to locate, it is located on Scott Road off Jalan Tun Sambanthan and it is right opposite the Hanuman Temple. Surely cannot miss the place. One thing I like most about this restaurant is their warm reception and excellent service. The moment you enter their restaurant, right from the door to your table, there is a man that ushers you in. And then the service just flows along. Extremely fast service and when the waiters are busy, the owner himself serves you. Personal attention is something that you get here which is something that you do not get in most other places.

Vegetarian Meals @ RM 5.00
This is the basic meal set. Please note that you get four good vegetables along with pickles and two fresh and crisp papadams with their basic meal. Most other places only serve three vegetables and most often they are just cabbage and some other cheap vegetables. They serve both the normal and par boil rice. As with other places, rice can be topped up anytime without additional charges. My favourite curry here is their Fish Curry. Absolutely the best Fish Curry served in restaurants. It is thick and spicy. Thick scent of the spices comes from the curry. As I had my nephew who is three with us today, he too had a meal set like this and they only charged RM 3.50 for him. Unlike other famous restaurants that I do not want to name, who would charge the same price for children.

Mutton Varuval @ RM 8.00
This was another excellent dish. It was very spicy though. I believe they have used some pepper in this dish. The mutton was also done right and it was cut to the right cube size and not hard at all. I would rate this 8.5/10 .

Cuttlefish Sambal @ RM 6.00
 Please note that this was only half the portion size. When it arrived, it looked so good that we ended up eating first and then I realised I had not taken a photo of this dish. This was also very well done. The Cuttlefish was lovely and we never felt like chewing rubber. It is also mixed with Potato's and some Tomato. I would rate this 9/10 .

Tauhu Sambal @ RM 2.00
I liked this dish very much too. It came with two full Tauhus. It was lightly sweet yet spicy. As you can see, they had used some Cili Padi in this dish. Another must try here. I would rate this 8.5/10 .

Prawn Sambal @ RM 6.00
Sorry again, this was also only about half the portion size. This was the best Prawn Sambal I have tried. Even as I write this blog, I can still remember the taste and have my saliva drooling. I must try here. I rate this dish 10/10 .

Egg Sambal @ RM 1.50
This was just okay. Maybe if it was fried egg, it would have been better. I would just rate this 6/10 .

Dhall Rasam
Here they usually have at least two variety of Rasam made in a single day. The last time I was here, I tried Chicken Rasam. Wanted to try that today too, but that was not available. Today they had the normal Rasam and this Dhall Rasam. We opted for the Dhall Rasam. It was absolutely good again. There is no additional charges for Rasam and Mooru here at this restaurant. It is already included as part of the basic vegetarian meals. I would surely rate this 9/10 .

Fried Tenggiri Fish @ RM 5.00
I feel that this restaurant serves the best fried fish. I am very eager to know their recipe which they use to marinate. It is simply very good. Do order a piece of Fried Fish when you come here to try it for yourself please.

Thannichaar
This is another Tamil curry which many non Tamils do not know of and you get a very good one here at this restaurant. Although this is not a common curry found in Malaysia, still is it free of charge here.

Us Having Lunch

Lunch Time
Contact Information
Once again, this is an excellent place to get good and cheap Tamil Banana Leaf Meals. The entire meal for six including soft drinks came to a mere RM 82.40 . Just last month, I remember paying RM 60.00+ for two at one other famous Tamil restaurants in town. To summarise, this is still my favourite place to have Tamil Banana Leaf Meals in Kuala Lumpur.

Address:    No. 22, Jalan Scott, Off Jalan Tun Sambanthan,
                 Brickfields, 50470 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Tel:   +603 2274 0995 
         +603 2274 1995

Opening Hours:  0730 - 2245 Daily

Email: vishalfood@hotmail.com

12 comments:

  1. Must try place based on your comments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee and would love your comments after you've tried that place. Hopefully, their quality is still intact....

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It is worth a try and thank you for reading my blogs :)

      Delete
  3. Most of the food here scored high ratings! Wow! apart from mutton, i also love a good prawns sambal...I must come here and try these foods someday! Oh yes and what is Thaaniaccar made of? haven't heard of this dish before...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of my favourites in Brickfields. They were initially one restaurant and broke off for God knows what reason ( and that's Vishals and Visalatchis) Anyways the food here is good but selectively. Thanichaar is a dish prepared with sweet potato leaves and Dhall. A common South Indian gravy. Come join me sometime and let's go for some good Banana Leaf Meal! ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh I think I might have tasted Thaniachaar before, my aunt has prepared it. I would definitely love to join you sometime! You are after all the expert in sniffing out these wonderful places! Thank you for the invite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!

      Ha ha...please do. We do have gatherings some time. Many of whom are my blog followers here.

      You're most welcome :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Venoth - thanks for the review. Food looks awesome. Would you happen to know if the restaurant has a Halal status? Tq :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Honestly, I doubt it. Most Indian restaurant's won't really have such a status. All they would usually do is to get their Chicken and Mutton from Halal certified suppliers but the premise itself would not have any certifications unless it's a big time outlet. Moreover, this is very much like a 'mess' style place. I truly doubt it....

      Delete
  6. Very mouthwatering review! i have been in KL a few times, but never tried banana leaf rice before, its on my list for the next trip there. Any advice for novice banana leaf eaters? Thx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martin, Thank you for the kind words! Well, just avoid the big names and try the food at the lesser known restaurants. Personally I just feel that the big names in the industry overcharge for their branding and serve food that's just not up to the mark. Otherwise, nothing much and just enjoy the meal!! ;)

      Delete