Tuesday, 26 February 2013

Devis Corner @ Taman Tun Dr. Ismail, Kuala Lumpur

It has been ages since I came to this restaurant and as I was passing here tonight, decided to have a quick stop for dinner.  As usual, parking in this area is never easy and this restaurant is always full day and night. To those who do not know, this restaurant is located along Jalan Datuk Sulaiman in Taman Tun Dr Ismail, Kuala Lumpur.

Devis Corner @ TTDI
I was pretty hungry today as I have been starving the whole day and decided to head for the rice station. I know that some of their other items are pretty famous like the Bombay Toast and Roti Sardin, but preferred to stick with rice this evening. Generally, the yardstick for any Indian restaurant should be their rice and curry as the others are just supplementing dishes.

Rice and Curry Station
It seems that they only cook for lunch and heat up the dishes later part of the day. Many of the dishes were sold out but it was still okay for me.

Open Air Seats At The Side
I was promptly assisted and then carried my plate over to a table close to the road. I preferred this place as it was open and breezy and since I would love to have a smoke after my dinner, did not want to make anyone uncomfortable by smoking inside though smoking inside is not prohibited.

Teh O Ais @ RM 1.50
Within minutes, my drink arrived. Then a guy came up to the table, assessed my dishes and the wrote the bill which was then placed into a plastic cup. Typical of a Mamak style restaurant.

My Dinner @ RM 8.50
Well, as you can see from the photo above, the rice was a little over cooked. The gravy that I helped myself to was Mutton Curry. This was a little diluted for Mutton Curry and definitely a little salty. Surely not the quality I expected for Devis. I would only rate the Mutton Curry 4/10 .

Egg Sambal
The Egg Sambal however was quite nice. Not the best that I have ever tried but surely meets up to expectations. It was more on the sweet side but nice. I would recommend this. Would rate this Egg Sambal 7/10 .

Mutton Varuval
The Mutton Varuval was just average. I was taken back by this as the Mutton Varuval in Devis Bangsar is very good. Is the cooking decentralized, I guess so. The meat was cooked well i.e. the right level of tenderness but the spices were just a little off. Something was seriously missing to give it the full flavour. I would rate this Mutton Varuval at 5/10 .

On the whole, this place is pretty decent. I would suggest to try their other items from the ones I tried today, except for the Egg Sambal. I know for a fact that the Roti Sardin and Bombay Toast here is good. Interestingly, there is this Malay girl that sits at the cashier and when I went up to her to pay the bill, she told me to wait for the Indian guy who was also waiting tables. From the moment I arrived at this restaurant, she was standing there but did not transact. Pretty odd I felt. Anyway, this place is open 24 hours a day and can be a good joint to hang out late nights for a decent meal or snack.

Address: 38, Jalan Datuk Sulaiman, Taman Tun Dr Ismail,
               60000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 24 Hours Daily



2 comments:

  1. Oh too bad for the Mutton Varuval! Looked so good but not up to mark! Did you go there again after that to see if the taste has changed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Denise, it was just a one off trip. Heard from some friends that they too didn't like the food there. But the Devi's in Bangsar is quite good I heard. Not visited them yet but would do soon.

      Delete