Tuesday, 5 February 2013

Kafe Yik Mun: The Famous Tg. Malim Pau @ Hartamas, Kuala Lumpur

This evening I happened to go to Hartamas Shopping Centre to meet a friend and that is when I came to know that Yik Mun Restaurant which is famous for the Pau's in Tanjung Malim also has a branch here. Well, this restaurant and I go a long way for a few reasons. Firstly, Tanjung Malim is my hometown and secondly the present owner who is the son was my classmate from kindergarten all the way to Form 5. As such, I am very familiar with how this restaurant started and revolutionized itself to its present popularity. Coming back to this outlet here in Hartamas Shopping Centre, it is just a small cafe manned by two Indonesian ladies.

Kafe Yik Mun @ Hartamas
 Honestly, looking at the set up of this restaurant I was doubtful. There is no place to cook and it was cramped up. Where is the food prepared as they not only serve the Pau's , but also the Hainanese Style dishes as well. Though this restaurant belongs to my close friend, I would still post a unbiased review.

Interior of the restaurant

Simple Layout
Old Write Ups Being Displayed
Ever since this restaurant in Tanjung Malim acquired Halal status since the late 1980's this restaurant has always been swarmed by customers especially on weekends. Usually, there are no places to sit from morning to late evening. However, here in Hartamas it seems quite quiet. Perhaps not many people know of this outlet in Kuala Lumpur. Coming back to my dining experience here today. I walked in to this cafe and was greeted by the Indonesian lady. Found my table and placed my order. I ordered a Chicken Pau, Hainanese Chicken Chop and Hainanese Coffee.

Hainanese Coffee @ RM 3.50
In a matter of minutes, the coffee arrived. I am very familiar with the coffee taste at the restaurant in Tanjung Malim but here at this outlet, it was terrible. Very diluted and completely unacceptable. Moreover, here they are charging KL price for this coffee at RM 3.50 . Not up to the mark. I would only rate this 2/10 .

Chicken Pau @ RM 2.20

The Filling
When I used to go to this restaurant during my school days, the Pau was only 40 cents but today it has gone up to RM 2.20 . They have four varieties of Pau's i.e. Chicken, Beef, Kaya and Kacang Hitam. Since I ordered another main dish, decided to try my favourite Chicken Pau. The Pau was very good and it tasted the same. I know this is frozen stuff and it is the same there too, however the taste was up to the mark.  I would strongly recommend the Pau's at this outlet.

Hainanese Chicken Chop @ RM 17.90
Well, back there this dish is sold for RM 12.00 and here it is RM 17.90 . This was frozen item reheated. From order to delivery, it was a mere 4 minutes. Absolutely crappy. Not recommended. Many outsiders that come to Tanjung Malim think that this is the best Hainanese Chicken Chop there but it is not. As a local, let me tell you that the best one is Restaurant E&L which is the other end of the same row as Yik Mun. In fact, it is by far the best Hainanese Chicken Chop I have ever tasted. Way ahead of this Chicken Chop in taste. I have done an entry on that restaurant in the past too, I think sometime in August 2012. Now, to rate this Chicken Chop, it would only score 5/10 .

Interesting Combo at Ridiculous Prices
On the whole, this outlet is only good if you would want to try the Pau's. They still maintain the original taste. I would not recommend to try other dishes here as firstly, the price is inflated and secondly, they are all not quite up to the mark. My total bill today came to RM 23.60 for the above items which is very much on the high side, must be Hartamas pricing. Will I come back here? Yes I will, just for the Pau.

Address: G1, Ground Floor, Hartamas Shopping Centre,
                No. 60, Jalan Sri Hartamas 1, Sri Hartamas,
                50480 Kuala Lumpur.

Opening Hours: 1000 - 2200

Telephone: +603 6203 5738 (Don't try calling as no one would ever answer)

No comments:

Post a Comment