Tuesday 29 January 2013

Restaurant Imperial Kitchen - Teo Chew & String Tied Bak Kut Teh @ The Strand, Petaling Jaya

I had some business at The Strand in Kota Damansara this afternoon and that is when I discovered this restaurant by the name of Restaurant Imperial Kitchen - Teo Chew & String Tied Bak Kut Teh. It was located in a secluded location at the Strand. One would only be able to find this restaurant with the right address. As always, it is a craze to find parking at The Strand and as I was going around this place in search of a parking lot, that is when I came across this restaurant. I have also not seen much write ups or blogs on this restaurant.

Restaurant Imperial Kitchen @ The Strand, Kota Damansara
This restaurant is located right at the end of The Strand where there are not many shops that are utilised and fortunately this is where I found my parking bay. Having seen this restaurant and with my work settled, I walked over to this restaurant. I was greeted by a lady whom I think is the boss and she was very accommodating in explaining to me what their offerings were. Having been pleased that this is something that I have not tried, I took my seat at a table and was given the menu.

A Brief On The Signature Dishes

First Page of the Menu

Second Page of the Menu

The menu was an elaborate one. I have included the first three pages of the menu above. The rest of the pages, were more on the side dishes and the drinks. I was keen to try the Teo Chew Style today instead of the Hokkien Style. I was told that the Teo Chew style was based on a light and peppery soup. Not having tried that, I ordered my dishes. I  also ordered a bowl of the bean curd and a drink. I wanted to order more but was stopped by the Aunty taking my orders as she mentioned that that is already too much and anything more would surely be a waste. I appreciate her honesty here.

Interior of the Restaurant

Interior of the Restaurant
The restaurant had a very classy look to it. They also seemed to sell high end Chinese Tea at the restaurant. Don't be fooled to assume from the above photos that the restaurant was empty. It had a decent crowd and mostly professionals from around this area. This was the only place where I could see a White guy having Bak Kut Teh alone. At first, I did take a shot with the crowd but then was stared by two table full of guys. Seems that they do not like their photos being taken and as such, I just deleted those pictures and posted photos from areas that were not occupied in the restaurant. The restaurant was also very clean and it was air conditioned.

Bean Curd in Fermented Sauce @ RM 5.00

Bean Curd in Fermented Sauce @ RM 5.00

This was the first dish to arrive. As you can see from the pictures, it comes with candle burners at the base to keep it hot. That is a good initiative and I should congratulate them for this. The Bean Curd was also good. It was full bean curds and home made. The sauce was that of the thick herbal base but somehow it did taste slightly different. I could not catch what that additional ingredient was but it tasted good. The portion size was large too and it is good for two people.

Teo Chew Bak Kut Teh (Small) @ RM 13.80

Teo Chew Bak Kut Teh (Small) @ RM 13.80
Though quoted small, this Bak Kut Teh dish was pretty huge and it is surely good for two people. It is also good that they serve this dish with a burner to keep it hot. Now, in this restaurant you are not able to choose your type of cut and it comes mixed with meat, bones, stomach and Fu Chok. I must say that the meat was extremely tender and lean and literally fat free. The soup is a light base but it has a strong taste and flavour of pepper. I was told that this soup is made to boil with Chinese Herbs and Pig Stomach thus giving it it's taste. It was quite unique and tasted good. The only set back is the lack of capacity to choose your cuts. It also had some button mushrooms inside. On the whole a good dish and worth every penny spent.

Contact Details

Brief Map

On the whole, I would surely return to this restaurant for a number of reasons. Fast service, good customer service as the Aunty kept returning to me asking how the Bak Kut Teh was and also the good taste and reasonable price. I initially expected the price to be high based on the decor of the restaurant and the fact that it is fully air conditioned but the actual was contrary to my expectation. I would love to try their Hokkien String Tied version soon and just another point to share here is that they would also be open for the coming Chinese New Year.

Address: 2G, Jalan PJU 5/22, Encorp Strand Kota Damansara,
                47810 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia.

Telephone: +603 6150 3028

Opening Hours: 1000 - 2200 Daily

2 comments:

  1. Hi, This is a good review. Thanks for sharing the yummy Bak Kut Teh for Imperial Kitchen Restaurant . Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your most welcome and thank you for the great food too!

      Delete